Request a Refund
You can receive a refund from your student account when a valid credit balance exists due to overpayment. Our school delivers your refund with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution powered by BMTX, Inc.
- If the amount of your credit balance consists of an expected source of funding, such as an expected Direct Loan or an expected state or Pell Grant, your refund will not be processed until those funds are received.
- Refund requests will not be processed until classes commence for the semester. Tufts University has partnered with BankMobile, a financial services company, to bring a more efficient, convenient and easy-to-use solution to handle financial disbursements. For more information about BankMobile, visit http://bankmobiledisbursements.com/refundchoicessso/
- Receipt of refunds may take up to 7-10 business days from the date that they were approved.
- You will only receive a refund check in the mail if you have not selected a preference to receive electronic funds. Please note that paper checks may take up to 21 days to be issued from BankMobile.
- If you are making payments through a Tuition Payment Plan no refunds will be given until all payments are received for the semester.
You will need:
- Access to your SIS account
- Your personal bank account information (account number and routing number)
Your refund profile can be set up with BankMobile by logging into your SIS account.
Go to the “Bills & Balances” tab in SIS, and click on “Manage Refund” to make your refund preference selection. You will be asked to create a login for future use during the initial setup.
To view our institution’s contract with BankMobile, a Division of Customers Bank, click here:
Request Your Tufts Refund
Steps to request your refund:
- Log into your Student Information System (SIS) account
- Click on the “Bills & Balances” tab
- Choose whether or not to give Title IV authorization (see below)
- Select “Request a Refund”
Title IV Authorization
Federal regulations require that we refund to you all federal aid in excess of allowable charges. However, we recommend that you sign your Title IV authorization in order for us to apply your federal aid (PELL Grants, SEOG, Perkins Loans, Federal Direct Loans, Parent PLUS Loans, Graduate PLUS loans) to all of your charges. Granting this authorization will help prevent outstanding balances from remaining on your account after a refund is processed.
Allowable charges include tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board that is contracted through Tufts University.
Charges requiring your authorization include medical insurance, parking fines, library fines, and other miscellaneous charges.
To complete your Title IV authorization:
- Log in to your SIS account
- Select the Bills & Balances tab
- Click on the Title IV waiver (authorization) and follow the steps listed in SIS
Please note: Title IV authorization is not mandatory, but once granted, it will last throughout your time at Tufts. The authorization can be revoked at any time.
Title IV Example:
You are billed $15,000 in tuition and mandatory fees as well as a health insurance charge for $2,000. Your total charges are $17,000.
You receive federal aid in the amount of $17,000.
If you have NOT given Title IV authorization, you will be issued a refund of $2,000. However, you will now owe Tufts $2,000 to pay for your health insurance. With Title IV authorization, we will apply the funds automatically and your account balance would be $0.