The Bulletin: General Undergraduate Policies and Information

Undergraduate Policies

Academic Residence Requirement

The university requires eight semesters of full-time study for the baccalaureate degree for all undergraduates. After matriculating at Tufts, a student may spend no more than two semesters of full-time study at other approved institutions or on approved non-Tufts study abroad programs. Ordinarily, four semesters of the undergraduate’s course of study must be taken at Tufts University’s home campus. Up to two semesters may be spent in a Tufts-related program, either foreign or domestic. Normally, students will be in full-time residence at Tufts for the final two semesters. Transfer students must spend at least four full-time semesters at Tufts or on Tufts study abroad programs. Candidates for the Arts and Sciences/Engineering combined degrees must complete their programs in no fewer than ten full-time semesters.  Candidates for the BFA + BA/BS program at the SMFA at Tufts must complete their program in no fewer than eight full-time semesters.

All students must earn at least 60 semester hours at Tufts or on Tufts study abroad programs. Pre-matriculation credits received from certain standardized examinations (such as Advanced Placement) are not considered Tufts credits for this purpose.

Students earning the equivalent of 5 (credit-bearing) courses, adding up to at least 17 semester hours, from prematriculation credits and/or Tufts summer/winter session courses (including Tufts summer/winter abroad programs) may elect to use these semester hours in fulfillment of one semester of residence. Students earning the equivalent of 9 such courses, adding up to at least 32 semester hours, may elect to use them in fulfillment of two semesters of residence. Prematriculation credits are defined as credits earned from certain scores on Advanced Placement and SAT examinations, IB and British A-level examinations, as well as credits earned from approved college courses taken prior to matriculation at Tufts or at any four-year college or university. Courses taken during summer school at other institutions do not count toward the residence requirement.

Completion of a specified number of credits does not in itself constitute an undergraduate education. Students need time to reflect on and absorb knowledge. Four years of full-time study in an academic environment provide the opportunity to explore a varied curriculum at a reasonable pace; to interact with and learn from fellow students representing a variety of national, ethnic, religious, and racial backgrounds; to be enriched by study in a foreign country; and to survey the cultural, recreational, and educational opportunities of Boston and New England.

Graduation Dates

Tufts awards undergraduate degrees three times during the year: May, August, and February. The only commencement ceremony is held in May.

Transfer Students

Transfer students are entitled to the same advanced placement credits and exemptions from foundation requirements as students who enter Tufts as first-year students, with the same stipulation that transfers may not receive credit for a course covering essentially the same material as that for which advanced placement credit is granted.

Transfer students with eligible scores on the SAT and Advanced Placement Tests, IB and British A-levels should have official records of their scores sent to Student Services before orientation. Such credits will be approved only on the basis of official test records and not a transcript from the student’s previous institution.

Students transferring from other institutions must spend a minimum of four full-time semesters at Tufts or on Tufts Programs Abroad and must complete at least half the required credits (60 credits for BA/BS degrees, 60 or more credits for engineering, depending on degree program, 38 credits of studio coursework and 21 credits of non-studio coursework for BFA toward their degree at Tufts or on Tufts Programs Abroad. Pre-matriculation credits received from certain standardized examinations (such as Advanced Placement and international diplomas) are not considered Tufts credits for this purpose.

Transfer of Credit from Other Institutions

In order to receive transfer credit from another accredited institution, a student must have received a grade of C-or better, (undergraduates enrolled at the SMFA must earn a C or above for studio credit to transfer). A matriculated student may not take such courses during any fall or spring semester in which the student is taking any courses at Tufts or on a Tufts study abroad program. Courses taken through established cross-registration or consortial agreements are not considered transfer courses. Transferred credits are entered in the Tufts record without the grade and do not count toward the Tufts GPA. A matriculated student may not take such courses during any fall or spring semester in which the student is taking any courses at Tufts or on a Tufts Program Abroad. Courses taken through established cross-registration or consortia agreements are not considered transfer courses. Students may transfer from other institutions no more than the equivalent of sixty semester hours for both the School of Arts and Sciences. Students in the School of Engineering may transfer in a maximum of half of the required semester hours for their specific degree program. Tufts does not accept transfer credits for internships nor for online courses. Tufts does not accept transfer credits for internships nor for online courses.

Up to two semesters of full-time study after matriculation at Tufts may be spent at other approved four-year institutions or on approved foreign study programs. Students who transferred to Tufts must spend a minimum of four full-time semesters at Tufts or on a Tufts study abroad program. Students attending summer schools (other than Tufts Summer Session) are normally allowed to transfer no more than twelve semester hours in one summer, and no more than 4 semester hours from another school’s winter session nor more than a cumulative total of twenty semester hours toward a Tufts degree after matriculation.

Students who plan to complete a full-time semester elsewhere must complete the equivalent of twelve or more semester hours to have it qualify as a full-time semester. All students planning to transfer credits earned while on leave from Tufts at other institutions should begin the process by first discussing their plans with their Advising Dean. Applied courses in music and dance, such as performance ensembles and lessons, are not normally accepted for transfer.

A course taken at a school using the quarter system will transfer according to the rule that one quarter hour is ⅔ of a semester hour; the resulting semester-hour value will be rounded to the nearest integer. For example, a 3-quarter-hour course counts as 2 semester hours (as 3 x ⅔= 2); a 4-quarter-hour course counts as 3 semester hours (as 4 x ⅔ = 2⅔, rounded to 3). If planning to use a quarter-system course toward a major, students should check with the department first.

Resumed Education for Adult Learners (REAL)

The Resumed Education for Adult Learners (REAL) program is open to students 24 years of age. This unique undergraduate program meets the need for greater academic flexibility in the education of older students, including veterans, and students who are married or are parents. It is open to those who have some college experience, with recent coursework a requirement. The R.E.A.L. program is particularly receptive to prospective students who have assumed leadership roles in local community affairs as well as to residents of Medford and Somerville. Students in the program are enrolled in regular undergraduate courses and pursue a course of study leading to a college degree in arts and sciences or engineering, for which they are expected to fulfill existing requirements, with the exception of the residence requirement. The R.E.A.L. program admits students for both the fall and spring semester of the academic year. For more information about the program, please call the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, located in Bendetson Hall, at 617-627-3170, or email Caitlin Casey at

Registration Information

Registration for courses is done through SIS. Students register for courses in November for the coming spring term and in April for the next fall term. Students are assigned a registration date based on their program of study and their “rising” class standing, meaning the class year the student will be for the semester in which the student will register for courses. For example, if you will be an Arts and Sciences second semester sophomore in the fall you will register with the sophomore Arts and Sciences students but will receive an earlier registration time than an Arts and Sciences student who will be an Arts and Sciences first semester sophomore. A student's class standing is based on the number of successful fall and spring terms completed. Class standing is independent of your expected graduation term and is not advanced based on pre-matriculation credits or other factors. Specific registration times on a day of registration are assigned each term at random. It is critical that students register for courses during this time. Failure to register or file the appropriate leave of absence could result in administrative withdrawal from the University. Students taking a leave of absence, including a leave to study abroad on an external program, must do so through SIS.

Registration will remain open during winter and summer breaks. Students will be able to register for any open classes, drop any classes, and sign up for the waitlist during this period. Please note that the waitlist will be active throughout this time. If a student drops a course, then the first waitlisted student will be rolled into the course. The ability to add courses online will remain open through the add deadline as posted on the academic calendar. Once the add period is over, students who wish to enroll in a course must get the instructor, advising dean, and in some cases the department chair approval through the instructor’s submission of an enrollment correction form to Student Services.

First-year students, including transfer and REAL students are able to drop courses via SIS through the end of the tenth week of classes only in their first semester of study. Second semester first-year students, sophomores, juniors, and seniors are able to drop courses online through the end of the fifth week of classes; these students may withdraw from a course via SIS through the end of the tenth week of classes. The grade of W (withdrawn) will appear on the transcript but does not affect a student’s cumulative grade point average. After these deadlines, students must complete the course work and receive the appropriate grade. Exact dates vary from year to year and students should check the relevant Academic Calendar. Summer session has different deadlines, found on the University College website.

Pre-matriculation Credits

Pre-matriculation credits are defined as credits earned from certain scores on Advanced Placement and SAT Subject examinations, scores on examinations, from the IB and British A-levels as well as credits earned from college courses taken prior to matriculation at Tufts or any four-year accredited college or university. These scores and their equivalencies have been determined by the individual departments and are listed below. Arts and Sciences (BA/BS) students may apply toward their degree pre-matriculation credit amounting to at most five courses, regardless of the number of semester hours. Engineering students may apply toward their degree pre-matriculation credit amounting to at most twenty-seven semester hours. Credits earned prior to matriculation via Tufts Summer Session are not included in this limit. BFA students may apply toward their degree pre-matriculation credit amounting to at most 2 non-studio courses and 4 credits of BFA Studio Art coursework. For arts and Sciences (BA/BS) students, at least 3 credits in each distribution area must come from credits earned after matriculation. If the student chooses to take a course that is equivalent to a pre-matriculation credit received, and passes, then the pre- matriculation credit will be removed from the student’s record. Students do not need to take the next level course in order to keep the pre-matriculation credit (except where stated). If they wish to make any changes, they may do so by completing the appropriate form under Student Forms.

Students who took college classes while still in high school may request transfer of credit for those courses online through SIS on the Student Services web page. Credit is awarded only for courses taken at a college with regularly enrolled college students. Some colleges offer their courses at nearby secondary schools for classes composed entirely of secondary school students; credit is not awarded for these courses. Also, students requesting such credit must have their principal or guidance counselor complete the High School Prior Institution Verification Form stating that the course was not used to complete requirements for the high school diploma. Students must submit Prior Institution Verification Forms from the institution where they completed the course and from a representative from their high school (typically a guidance counselor) to confirm that the course was taken on a college or university campus and the majority of students in the course were candidates for a degree at that college or university.

Tufts does not grant credit for the IB or British A-levels as a whole; rather, credit is awarded for each approved subject ex- amination passed at an appropriate level.

Standardized Exam Equivalencies

If a student completes a course at Tufts for which a pre-matriculation credit was awarded, the pre-matriculation credit will be removed from the student’s record.

A student will be awarded pre-matriculation credit for one course equivalent to the highest level achieved in a single language, even if multiple tests were taken in that language. This applies only to scores for which departments award credit.

Health professions graduate programs, such as medical and dental schools, will generally expect actual college science courses with laboratory on the transcript.

Academic Standing/Satisfactory Progress toward the Degree

Determination of a student’s academic status is made by the faculty Committee on Academic Standing. The committee reserves the right to make decisions on an individual student’s academic progress. The criteria for each degree can be found the school’s individual sections.

Approved Part-time Enrollment

Permission to enroll as a part-time student may be granted to students in the Resumed Education for Adult Learners Program and those who have completed eight semesters of full-time study. Students seeking to go part time after completing the residence requirement should see their Advising Dean at the beginning of their final full-time semester. Part-time enrollment must be determined no later than the day before the first day of the semester. Part-time students who drop courses beginning on the first day of classes are held to the prorated refund schedule on the Bursar’s website.

Reduced Course Load (Disability Related)

In some instances, health needs and other disabilities may also merit a reduced course load; determination for this is made by the Student Accessibility and Academic Resource (StAAR) Center. Students must file a petition in advance of the semester for which it is requested and work with the staff of the StAAR Center and their Advising Dean to effect a change to their program. Please see the StAAR Center website for complete details and procedures. Students are considered to be making satisfactory progress if they complete all courses with a 2.0 term GPA. A Reduced course load is 3-11 semester hour units.


The standing of the student in each subject is expressed by one of the following letters:

  • A Superior work
  • B Meritorious work
  • C Satisfactory work
  • D Unsatisfactory work but allowable for credit, subject to the restrictions specified under the requirements for graduation. Some departments disallow credit toward the concentration requirement.
  • P Passing work (D- or better): for courses taken under the pass-fail option, and for selected courses offered only pass-fail by departments. Grade point average is not affected.
  • F Failure: No credit is received. A grade of F is averaged into the grade point average.

No-Grade Status

  • I Incomplete: An indication by the instructor that more time will be allowed to complete the requirements for the course. An incomplete may be awarded only if the student has done substantial work in the course, the instructor judges the reasons for granting incomplete status to be valid, and the instructor determines that the work can be completed in the time specified on the incomplete form. Instructors are encouraged to consult with a student’s Advising Dean prior to awardingan incomplete. The instructor is responsible for specifying on the incomplete form the reason for the incomplete grade and the conditions that must be satisfied for the awardingof a grade. A copy of this form must be submitted to the student’s Advising Dean at the time final grades are reported. It is the responsibility of the student to request an incomplete before the required work is due. If an incomplete is granted, all work in the course must be completed six weeks after the last day of finals in the semester. The instructor may set an earlier deadline or (with approval from the Dean of Undergraduate Education of the school where the student is enrolled) a later one, and the student must abide by that deadline The work will be evaluated without prejudice, and a grade should be submitted two weeks after the work is received by the instructor A course not completed by the designated time will either remain a permanent incomplete or be assigned an appropriate grade (such as an F) by the instructor.
  • W Withdrawn: An indication that a student has been permitted to withdraw from a course after the fifth week of a semester (tenth week for first semester first-year students), but no later than the tenth week of the semester day
  • CR: Credit is received, but is not included in the grade point average.
  • NC: No Credit is received A grade of NC is not acceptable for degree credit.

 To compute the average of a student’s grades, each course grade of A is counted as 4.00; B, 3.00; C, 2.00; D, 1.00; F, 0. B+, C+, and D+ count 0.333 more; A-, B-, C-, and D- count 0.333 less. The grade score for each course is multiplied by the number of semester hours of the course, and the sum of these weighted scores is divided by the total number of semester hours. The result is computed to three decimal places; semester and cumulative averages are rounded to two decimal places. Although a grade of F is averaged into the GPA, those semester hours do not count towards graduation. For example, if a student has earned A- in a 3-semester hour course, B+ in a 4-semester hour course, B+ in a 3-semester hour course, and B in a 5-semester hour course, that student’s average grade for the term is:

Math equation for student grades

which is then rounded to 3.29.

If a student has earned A in each of three 3-semester hour courses and F in another 3-semester hour course, that student has completed 9 semester hours toward graduation and the average grade for the term is: 

Math equation for student grades


Changes in Course Grades: Statute of Limitations

Effective education requires timely and objective evaluation of students’ academic work, using clear, standard, fair, and public criteria. Such standards should be listed in the course syllabus. While criteria differ across disciplines and faculty, and while the ultimate responsibility for setting standards and evaluating performance rests with departments and faculty, submitted grades are final and not subject to negotiation. Exceptions should be limited to correcting clerical and calculation errors, and correcting deviations from stated criteria. Of course, students do have the right to know the basis for a grade, and faculty should be open to that post-semester conversation. Following such a conversation, undergraduates who believe that an error or deviation remains may appeal to the department chair or program director and, if necessary, subsequently to a dean of the faculty in Ballou Hall.

Any request for a change in a course grade must be made to the course instructor before the meeting of the school’s academic standing committee, and an instructor who agrees to change a grade may do so before the meeting of that committee. After the committee has met, faculty wishing to change a grade must submit a request to the school’s Dean of Undergraduate Education. Any such request may be made no later than six weeks into the following regular semester.

Repeated Courses

Most courses are non-repeatable: a student may only take such a course once for credit. Students who receive a failing grade for a course may repeat the course and receive degree credit if a passing grade is earned the second time. Both grades remain on the transcript, and both the F and the passing grade are calculated into the cumulative average.Students may choose to repeat a course after receiving a D+, D, or D-. Both the original and the repeated courses and grades will appear on the transcript. The credit value of the original course will be removed, but the full impact of the grades of both the original and repeated courses will be calculated into the cumulative grade point average. The repeated course, if passed, will receive the full credit value.

A non-repeatable course that has been taken using the pass/fail grading option, and for which the student earned a pass, may not be repeated for credit. Students who earn a grade of C- or above for a non-repeatable course may choose to repeat the course for a variety of reasons. Degree credit and cumulative average will reflect only the first passing grade earned in the course; record of the repeat and subsequent grade will appear on the transcript, but the grade will not be calculated into the grade point average.

Some courses are repeatable. These courses are so designated by their departments, with the approval of the Arts  and Sciences Committee on Curricula or the School of Engineering Curriculum Committee. Repeatable courses may be taken for credit more than once, regardless of the grade earned. Examples of courses that may be repeatable are skills courses in physical education, certain performance classes (in dance, music, and theater), certain studio art classes (in all disciplines including film), some creative writing courses, and some internship courses. Limits apply: a total of 4 physical education skills courses, up to 8 semester hours, may be taken for credit, and additional such courses will appear on the transcript for no credit. Creative writing classes at the introductory level may be taken twice in each genre (fiction, poetry, journalism). Creative writing classes in fiction and poetry at the intermediate level may also be taken twice for credit. Journalism and Nonfiction Writing at the intermediate level may be taken only once each. See the departments’ web sites for additional details.

Extra Courses

Arts and Sciences students may register for a maximum of 18 semester hours each semester; students in the combined   BA/BS + BFA program may register for a maximum of 21 semester hours each semester; first-year engineering students may register for a maximumof 18 semester hours; all other engineering students may register for a maximum of 21 semester hours. To add one or more additional semester hours, Arts and Sciences (including SMFA) students with sophomore standing or above, and Engineering students past the first semester, may petition their Advising Dean for permission beginning on the first day of each semester, but not before.

Missed Classes

Students should make themselves aware of each professor’s attendance policy. Students who must miss a class because of an illness should submit the online short-term illness form, available through SIS. Students are encouraged to speak with the professor directly about missed work since illness does not automatically excuse this. Students should consult their Advising Dean (Arts and Sciences BA/BSArts and Sciences Arts BFA, or Engineering) if they are missing more than a few classes due to illness. As the academic calendar is constructed, religious holy days are not the sole factor in determining days on which classes are held or suspended. It is the policy of the faculty, however, that students be encouraged to observe their appropriate religious holy days; that instructors strive to facilitate this by allowing absence from classes for such purposes and by trying to ensure that no examinations, written reports, oral reports, or other mandatory class assignments are scheduled for or due on holy days; and that instructors provide ample opportunities for such students to make up work missed on such occasions without penalty.

Study Abroad (Semester or Year)—Tufts Programs Abroad

Students are encouraged to study abroad under one of the established programs sponsored by Tufts University. In order to undertake a semester or year of study abroad during junior year, students must declare their ‘Intent to Study Abroad’ by the stated deadline in sophomore year (please see the Tufts Global Education website for details). To apply to a Tufts Program Abroad, students must plan a program relevant to their degree program at Tufts, secure in advance the approval of their advisor, and meet the requirements of the program to which they are applying. (For further information on program requirements, eligibility, and application deadlines, see the Tufts Global Education website.) Among other requirements, students participating in Tufts Programs Abroad must be in good academic and disciplinary standing from the time of application through participation in the program. In order to have a semester of study away from Tufts count as one of the eight semesters of full-time study required for graduation, a student must attempt the equivalent of 12 or more semester hours.

Study Abroad (Semester or Year)—External Programs

In order to undertake a semester or year of study abroad during junior year, students must declare their ‘Intent to Study Abroad’ by the stated deadline in sophomore year (please see the Tufts Global Education website for details). To participate in external study abroad, students must choose a pre-approved external program relevant to their degree program at Tufts and must secure in advance the approval of their advisor and of Tufts Global Education. (For the list of pre-approved programs and further information on application processes and deadlines, please see the Tufts Global Education website.) Transfer credit toward the Tufts degree will be accepted only from students who are in good academic and disciplinary standing at the time of application through participation in the external program.  In order to have a semester of study away from Tufts count as one of the eight semesters of full-time study required for graduation, a student must attempt the equivalent of 12 or more semester hours. To meet the costs of administrative procedures connected with study at other institutions, students studying on an external program abroad will be charged a Study Elsewhere fee.

Study in Home Country of Record

Students who wish to study at another institution in their home country of record (separate from the External Study Abroad opportunities) must secure in advance the approval of their advisor and their Advising Dean. International Students will also need to obtain approval from the office of Global Education. All students must take a leave of absence from Tufts during their semester at another institution. Approved courses will be transferred from, accredited colleges or universities if the student earns grades of C- or better. Students must get courses approved for transfer from the relevant department at Tufts through SIS. Tufts does not accept online classes or internships for transfer. In order to have a semester of study away from Tufts count as one of the eight semesters of full-time study required for graduation, a student must attempt the equivalent of 12 or more semester hours. To meet the costs of administrative procedures connected with study at other institutions, students studying elsewhere will be charged a fee. more details about a Study from Home opportunity are available online.

Leaves of Absence and Transfers

Undergraduates are allowed up to four semesters away from campus, total, in the course of completing their degrees. This includes personal leave, semesters of required withdrawal, or absences without formal leave. The limit of four semesters does not include study abroad, leave for domestic Study Elsewhere, leave for military or religious service, or medical leave. After a leave or another absence, of any type or length, students must confer with the Advising Deans in order to return. A student who exceeds the limit of four semesters away from campus must apply for reinstatement.

Students considering a leave of absence or transferring to another school must consult their Advising Dean and complete the online leave of absence form, available through SIS. The Residential Life and Learning Office must be notified if a housing contract has been signed. There is a penalty for failing to notify the Residential Life and Learning Office by certain deadlines (consult the Residential Life and Learning Office). Students receiving financial aid should also notify Financial Services. International students must contact the International Center for information on visa status. Students taking a personal leave of absence with a plan to return to Tufts should consult their Advising Dean if they intend to take classes elsewhere while on leave.

Medical Leaves

Students taking a Medical Leave of Absence leave campus in order to fully attend to health-related issues. This type of leave is recommended if a student finds it difficult to productively or safely manage the demands of their academics and campus life due to a health concern. Tufts University is committed to supporting students on medical leave and as they prepare for their transition back to Tufts. Making a decision to take a leave from the University may be a difficult one. The University strongly encourages students considering their options to consult and seek support from the staff in the Dean of Students Office and their Advising Team at any time during the semester.

Understanding the financial and academic implications of any leave is important. The full policy is on our website. Please know that your Advising Dean, or graduate faculty advisor and appropriate Dean of Students staff member will help you navigate this process.

Notification of intention to request re-entry must be submitted in writing or via email to the Office of the Dean of Students by the deadlines noted online.

Academic Ethics

A university is a community of individuals interested in the search for an understanding of knowledge. Absolute honesty on the part of every college student is and always shall be an integral part of the plan of higher education at Tufts University. Examples of academic dishonesty include plagiarism, handing in one paper for two or more courses without the knowledge and consent of the instructors involved, dishonesty on examinations, and the purchase of papers to be submitted in a course.

Certain fundamental principles for the acknowledgement of sources apply to all fields and to all levels of work. The use of source materials of any kind (including the Internet) in the preparation of essays or laboratory reports must be fully and properly acknowledged. In a paper or laboratory report, a student is expected to acknowledge any expression or idea that is not their own. In submitting the paper, the student is stating that the form and content of the essay or report, in whole and in part, represent their own work, except where clear and specific reference is made to other sources. Even where there is not conscious intention to deceive, the failure to make appropriate acknowledgement may constitute plagiarism. Any quotation—even of a phrase—must be placed in quotation marks and the precise source stated in a note or in the text; any material that is paraphrased or summarized and any ideas that are borrowed must be specifically acknowledged. A thorough rewording or rearrangement of an author’s text does not release the student from these responsibilities. All sources that have been consulted in the preparation of the essay or report should be listed in the bibliography.

Allegations of student academic misconduct are reported to the Office of the Dean of Students. Students have the right to review the complaint of academic misconduct made against them and to reply in writing. Students also have the right to appeal disciplinary decisions to the Committee on Student Life (CSL) according to the policies set forth in Tufts University Student Judicial Process.

Consequences for academic dishonesty include disciplinary probation, suspension, or expulsion. Instructors are required to follow the grading guidelines outlined in the Academic Integrity Handbook. For more information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Handbook.


The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) gives each Tufts student access to his or her educational records, the right to correct inaccuracies in the records and the right to control distribution. Since September 11, 2001, the Department of Education has stated that a college must provide (absent a request) information it reasonably believes will assist law enforcement officials in investigating or preventing terrorist activities. In addition, there are exceptions in the statute, such as a subpoena, that allow Tufts to release student records even if the student objects. A description of your rights under the act, the location of records pertaining to you, and the procedures for requesting access and invoking your right to control access appears on the Student Life website.

Please note: Only directory information is made available to the public. Directory information includes whether a student is in attendance at the university and the student’s local telephone number and email address. Students may request that directory information not be released to anyone by adjusting their privacy in SIS. Such requests are subject to the exemptions provided by certain policies, including FERPA and the Patriot Act of 2001. Students should verify implementation of their request by calling Student Services. A change in phone number, along with updating your privacy settings in SIS, is suggested as the best way to ensure privacy.

Nondiscrimination Policy

Tufts University is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee and student in their education and employment. It is the policy of the university not to discriminate on the basis of race; color; national or ethnic origin; age; religion; disability; sex; gender; sexual orientation; gender identity or expression, including a transgender identity; genetics; status as a veteran; retaliation (for filing a complaint or raising a concern about any of the above categories); and any other characteristic protected under federal or state law, including Title IX. This equal opportunity protection applies in the administration of Tufts University’s educational policies, admissions policies, employment policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic or other university- sponsored programs. The University expects all Tufts employees, students and community members to join with and uphold this commitment. For more information or to file a complaint of discrimination, contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action at 617-627-3298 or visit their website.