Undergraduate Degree Requirement Petition


    As a Tufts undergraduate student, you can petition committees to request a course satisfy a particular graduation requirement if it does not already fulfill one of these areas. The process starts by completing the appropriate form. If you wish to take additional credits beyond your limit, you can complete the appropriate petition.

    Petitioning for Engineering Substitution

    If you propose to modify the course requirements for your School of Engineering degree, the first step is to consult your academic advisor. With advisor and department permission, you may submit the School of Engineering course substitution form. Complete the form and be sure to get all necessary signatures before bringing the form to your Advising Dean.

    Petitioning for Arts and Sciences (BA/BS) Requirements

    Major Requirements

    All questions about major requirements should go to your major advisor and/or department. If your advisor has approved a substitution for your major or minor requirements, they need to submit the Undergrad Major/Minor Substitutions form. They can find this form under Faculty Forms in SIS.

    Foundation and Distribution Requirements

    To petition to the appropriate committee, follow the steps below:

    1. Download the relevant petition form

    2. Gather information about the course you took, or are planning to take

    • Course description
    • Syllabus
    • Any relevant assignments.

    3. Get signatures

    Culture and World Civilization Petitions

    Submit your form and documents directly to the chair of the appropriate committee:

    Distribution Petitions

    For courses taken at Tufts, you need to get the signature of the instructor AND the signature of the chair of the department most closely related to the area you are petitioning for. (For example, if you are petitioning for a World Politics course to count as Social Science, you need a signature from the chair of the Political Science department)

    Take your form and documents directly to the chair of the Distribution Subcommittee, George Ellmore, Biology Department.

    4. Pick Up Your Petition

    When your petition has been approved, you will be notified by the appropriate committee chair to pick up the form and take it to the Student Services desk in Dowling Hall to be processed.

    Please note: it takes time for each person in this process to review the material and update official records. Your petition may take up to a month to complete, so please plan ahead.

    Additional Information