GSAS and SOE Fifth-Year Master's Programs

There are several Tufts Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) and School of Engineering master’s programs that offer a special track called “Fifth Year Master’s Program”. Some Fifth Year Master’s Programs permit counting up to two program eligible 100-level or above courses, with a minimum grade at or above a B-, towards both the bachelor’s and master’s programs. Eligibility varies, and courses must be approved by the graduate program faculty before they are counted for both the undergraduate degree and graduate degree programs. 

Fifth-Year Master’s Program students are eligible to petition for a total maximum of four courses, two of which could be double counted for the undergraduate degree and master’s degree and two of which could be transferred in through reserved graduate courses or external transfer of credit. All courses are subject to faculty approval. The maximum number of courses that can be double counted for the bachelor’s and master’s degrees is two. The maximum number of courses that can be transferred from reserved courses taken at Tufts and from an external institution is two. Tufts undergraduates should begin this process by completing the appropriate forms by May 1 of their senior year.

Fifth year master’s students must matriculate as a graduate student immediately following graduation with the bachelor’s degree, e.g., graduate in May and matriculate in August of the same year. A student must graduate with their bachelor’s degree from Tufts before they can matriculate as a graduate student in a Fifth Year Master’s Program. 

Transfer of courses for all incoming students, including Tufts undergraduate students, must be approved by the department/program faculty and adhere to the transfer of credit policy. For Tufts undergraduate students, approved courses taken as an undergraduate student at Tufts that meet all eligibility requirements, and have been reserved for graduate credit via the appropriate forms, will be posted on the graduate transcript.

International students: International students will receive a new Change of Education Level (COL) Form I-20 for the master’s degree.